Sinop Castle Sinop's strategic location has made it a prominent Black Sea port throughout history. The Sinop Castle, originally established by Miletus immigrants circa 800 BC, was later expanded by the Genoese settlers. The castle's 2km-long walls, eight bastions, and impressive height of 25 meters with a width of 8 meters attest to its formidable defensive capabilities. In 1345, during the Candaroğulları Sultanate, Adil Bey granted permission to the Venetians and Genoese to establish colonies in Sinop. The presence of a Genoese flag over the city in the Laurentiana Map of 1351 suggests the existence of a Genoese colony during that period. After Adil Bey's death, the Genoese continued to utilize Sinop for trade. Sinop served as a crucial port on major trade routes during the 13th and 14th centuries. Traders from Syria, Egypt, and beyond would often stop in Sinop before continuing their journey north. Following 1261, Genoese and Venetian merchants began to expand their trade in the Black Sea region. This led to a significant increase in trade with Europe and elevated the status of Sinop to that of other northern seaports. Genoese sailors brought various commodities such as fabrics, soap, glass, and gemstones to Sinop, while they purchased copper from the city. Other goods that were traded through Sinop included grain, alum, wax, and leather. In the northern area, a Genoese harbor called "Kayzer Koltogu" was established, where goods unloaded by local miners were loaded onto Genoese ships. To safeguard this thriving trade, the Genoese heavily fortified Sinop Castle, making it a stronghold of considerable strength.