Philadelphia Ancient City Philadelphia Ancient City in Alaşehir has roots deep in antiquity. King Eumenes II of Pergamon established it as a city in 189 BC. In recognition of his brother's loyalty and love, he named the city after the nickname "Philadelphos" that Attalus II had earned by being faithful-he literally meant "one who loves his brother." The city is perhaps best known as one of Seven Churches of Revelation. Philadelphia was in the administrative district of Sardis when it experienced an earthquake in 17. The Roman emperor Tiberius relieved the city from taxes and granted them honors. Under Caligula, Philadelphia received his cognomen Flavia. Under Caracalla they were home to an imperial cult with their coins bearing the word Neokoron (caretaker for temple). All that remains at Toptepe Hill is a small theatre which dates back to Roman times in Philadelphia. Although many ancient cities bore the name of Philadelphia, this was generally agreed to be the one listed among its seven churches in the Book of Revelation. The Philadelphia church is mentioned at least three times in varying contexts: once as a recipient of "a letter" from John (Revelation 3:7-13 (3:9), and twice with reference to making it "a pillar" of glory before God by being faithful under trial . Philadelphia, also known as the "little Athens" during the 6th century AD due to its festivals and temples. The Byzantine city was predominantly Christian, with Ammia being a notable Christian prophetess who called Philadelphia her home. By 600AD there existed a state-of-the art domed basilica in Philadelphia that is still standing today. The Byzantine walls that once surrounded the city have all but crumbled away. A few remnants are still visible at the northeast edge of town, near the bus stand. When it was taken by Seljuk Turks in 1074 and 1093-94, Emperor Alexios I recovered it during a First Crusade. From 11th to 15th centuries AD, Philadelphia was considered an important enough that it hosted the provincial governor and military commander.