Panaya Church (Yaman Dede Mosque) The Greek Panaya Church, which was built in the Tablakaya District of Talas in 1886 in the Talas District of Kayseri, the birthplace of Aziz Savas, was converted into a mosque in 1925 after the local Greeks from Kayseri were sent for population exchange. The original Panaya Church, which was built in a cruciform plan scheme, was converted into a mosque when the mihrab and pulpit were added to face south. Following conversion of the church into a mosque it was renamed after Yaman Dede. Today shops are arranged in rows below its terrace with mosques serving as cultural centers. The architecture of the mosque is very pleasing, with a long staircase leading up to it from below. There are also other historical buildings around it; these were built by the Greeks in ancient times. The view from the mosque itself is delightful, since it sits on a slope that offers a great vantage point over the city.