Hosap Castle Located in the village of Güzelsu, about 50 km from the city center of Van, the Hoşap Castle is a medieval fortress constructed in 1643 by Sarı Süleyman Bey, the chief of the Kurdish Mahmudi tribe. The name "Hoşap" translates to "beautiful water" in Kurdish. While the castle may not be considered ancient by local standards, it is situated near an ancient Urartian fortress, and according to historian Mehmed Top, the history of Hoşap dates back to the Kingdom of Urartu when it was a military stronghold at the crossroads of two strategic roads. Over the centuries, the region was conquered by the Persians and controlled by the Macedonian army. It was subsequently ruled by empires such as the Seleucid, Roman, and Byzantine. In the 10th century, the area became a part of Vaspurakan, an Armenian kingdom centered around Lake Van that declared independence from Persian control at the time. Hoşap Castle, situated in the village of Güzelsu, approximately 50 km from the center of Van, is a medieval castle with an outer keep and inner keep. The outer keep is enclosed by a line of walls, with remnants still visible on the east and north sides in the form of mud-brick defenses. The castle is also safeguarded by Güzelsu Creek, which flows along its western and southern boundary. While only three of the original forty bastions are still standing, the location of the eastern and western gates remains a mystery. Today, several dozen homes are located within the outer keep, as well as a converted mosque known as Kale Cami. To enter the inner keep, travelers follow a winding road that leads to the main gate. The gate is situated on a magnificent round tower and has walls four meters thick, with an entrance tower. The reliefs on the tower depict two black basalt lions standing next to each other, with an inscription carved into the muqarnas decoration beneath them, stating when the fortress was constructed in ancient Persia.