Avanos Pottery Town Avanos is located on the highway that connects Nevşehir, which is situated 17 km to the west, with Kayseri, located 65 km to the east. Going south, through Çavuşin (4.5 km), will lead you to Göreme (8 km). The production of earthenware pottery is the most famous historical feature of Avanos, and it is still very relevant and visible today. The ceramic trade in this district dates back to the time of the Hittites, and there are many pottery factories in the area. The quaint old town with its cobbled streets and views over the river attracts visitors. The first evidence of human settlement in the area of Avanos was found on the Zank Höyük mound, located 4 km northwest outside Sarilar. This mound rises 30 meters above the surrounding plain and has a radius of 300 meters. Excavations at Zank Höyük have uncovered Assyrian trade pottery dating back to around 2000 BC. Researchers have also found more ancient ceramics dating back to the early Bronze Age, as well as Phrygian and Hellenistic period objects on the surface of the mound. Avanos, a town located in central Turkey, has been known for its earthenware pottery for thousands of years. The local potters use the red clay found along the Kızılırmak River, which flows nearby. Many historic Ottoman-era buildings have been restored for tourists, but many others stand in disrepair. Along Atatürk street, parallel to the river, there is a district of these historic houses. A short distance from Avanos is Dereyamanli Church, a small cave church carved into the rock. Its simple room is adorned with red geometric designs, some of which resemble the Star of David. Though it is uncertain, the church may have served as both a temple and synagogue at some point. It is believed that construction on the church began over 1500 years ago in the 5th century AD. Today, it is the only rock-cut church in Cappadocia that still holds active religious services.