Constantine and Helena Church One of the two churches of the Bulgarian Orthodox Church in Edirne, The Church of Sts. Constantine and Helena was built in 1869 and funded by people originally from Macedonia and Thrace. The building demonstrates the characteristics of Orthodox architecture from this period. It is a three-nave pseudo-basilica with low, central nave and two lower side wings each end in a colonnade that supports it roof. In 1888, the metropolitan bishop of Edirne died and was buried in the eastern nave of the church. The tombstone was moved to the main entrance during renovation in 2008. After the Second Balkan War in 1913, the Turks made the Bulgarians leave their country and as a result this church was abandoned. The Bulgarian government reached an agreement with Turkish authorities to renovate it. In 2008, after years of neglect, this church underwent extensive renovations partially financed by Bulgaria's government.