Artuklu Palace The Artuklu Palace, which is more commonly known as the Artuqid Palace, was the seat of Diyarbakır’s branch of the Turkic dynasty that ruled over parts of Eastern Anatolia and Mesopotamia. It was constructed in İçkale during Nasir al-Din Mahmud (Salih Nasreddin Muhammed) reign between 1200 and 1222 and partially excavated in around 1960. This palace was also the place where Muslim scholar Al-Jazari worked for 30 years. He was responsible for many inventions and devices. Excavations on the palace site were carried out in 1961 by Turkish archaeologist and art historian Oktay Aslanapa, who discovered important ruins such as parts of the garden and Turkish baths. Important ruins that have disappeared over time have also been studied using new technologies.